● Tapered roller bearing is composed of an inner ring, outer ring, and tapered rolling elements. Thanks to the geometry of their design, tapered roller bearings can withstand combined loads (axial and radial). In addition, this design allows rolling movement without the rollers slipping off the tracks of the outer and inner rings.
The contact angle of the tapered roller bearings on the rolling tracks is variable, which in each case offsets the application axial and radial loading ratio; at a larger angle, a greater ability to withstand axial loads.
The inner and outer ring raceways are segments of cones and the rollers are tapered so that the conical surfaces of the raceways, and the roller axes, if projected, would all meet at a common point on the main axis of the bearing. This geometry makes the motion of the cones remain coaxial, with no sliding motion between the raceways and the OD of the rollers.
● This conical geometry creates a linear contact patch which permits greater loads to be carried than with spherical (ball) bearings, which have point contact. The geometry means that the tangential speeds of the surfaces of each of the rollers are the same as their raceways along the whole length of the contact patch and no differential scrubbing occurs.
● The rollers are stabilized and restrained by a flange on the inner ring, against which their large end slides, which stops the rollers from popping out due to the "pumpkin seed effect" of their conical shape.
● The larger the half angles of these cones the larger the axial force that the bearing can sustain.
● Tapered roller bearings are separable into a cone assembly and a cup. The non-separable cone assembly consists of the inner ring, the rollers, and a cage that retains & evenly spaces the rollers. The cup is simply the outer ring. Internal clearance is established during mounting by the axial position of the cone relative to the cup, although preloaded installations without clearance are common.
● Tapered roller bearings are used for heavy-duty, moderate speed applications. Typical applications that will benefit from these durable bearings include agriculture, construction, mining equipment, various axle systems, conveyance vehicles, gear Box, engine motors and reducers.